Saturday, December 09, 2006

Google Inc.

Sometimes I think it is heavy to always discuss hard topic. As I started to use Google Reader yesterday, suddenly I have an impulsive thinking about Google Inc.

Having started in 1998, it has grown rapidly as one of the most influential Internet corporations. It was only a search engine in the beginning, but it expands in size and in services provided owing to its user-friendly set up and its growing popularity. In my point of view, Google is one of the best illustrations of globalization and multi-national corporation.

I set Google as my home page in the Mozilla Firefox browser. Gmail is my primary email. I read Google news everyday and I use Google Alerts to read Cambodian news. Earlier this year when I was organizing Dramatics Week, I uploaded a video on Google Video. This Website, Blogger, is also one of the services Google provides. I search most of the things in Google. I subscribe RSS through Google Reader. Google penetrates my Internet experience.

I believe I am not the only Googler. There are more people who use its services more than I do. Not talking about the rest of the services, the importance of Google cannot be neglected. Despite not being favor of appreciating its dominance, its success is hardly to be combatted.

An idea jumps into my head. While the term "McDonaldization" becomes more known, it must be interesting to start a study of "Google-lization". As Internet is widely used nowadays, the effect induced by Google, notwithstanding its virtual nature, must be valuable to have a deep research and analysis.

Nonetheless, a litte person and being as poor academically as me has almost no way to conduct such a study; and I don't think I have the wisdom and the patience to work this out. Furthermore I believe there will be studies about this topic in the future.

No comments: